| The Pantheon! |
Hey y’all!
| Pantheon! |
Here’s a recap of the last two days. I’ve been pretty sick (or as I like to think,
withering away on my death bed), so I haven’t been doing much except sleeping
and going to class….and reading beach-reads on my kindle…I guess you know the
quality of the book isn’t the same when it’s free…Even being sick, I have seen
some pretty great stuff this week!
Thursday I went to my on-site art class. I love this professor. He knows so much about so much; I keep asking
him for museum recommendations. He’s on
top of attendance, though. This is not
like any other class where you could sneak in late, or skip anonymously (not
that I have ever missed a class in my college career…) But the man is on top of things. He gives a handout at the start of every class
with our names already written on top, and you can’t leave class until you give
back your headset and walkie-talkie, so you couldn’t ever skip out
early. He’s sneaky.
| Dome in the Pantheon |
We headed to the Pantheon (not to be confused with the Parthenon, in Greece) and the Ara
Pacis……
Pacis……
The Pantheon is awesome because historians are still amazed at how it was built--and how it has stayed standing for so long. That's partly because it was turned into a church in the 7th century, and it is still a church today. It's dome weighs something like 5,000 tons. I was a little concerned standing under it, but I figure it's been standing for this long, so the likelihood of it falling onto me wasn't too great...
The Ara Pacis is an altar to peace, built in honor of Augustus. I spent most of my time here being yelled at by security about sitting/leaning/standing on things that I wasn't supposed to, but that aside, the Ara Pacis is really pretty. The structure is half real/half recreated. I love this class because I love art, but I love it because I use it as a personal tour of Rome; even though today he did say "class, this is not a tour group. Put your cameras away." Oops.
| Ara Pacis |
Today, (Friday), we had the same class again. We normally don’t have Friday classes, but
since we have a papal audience on Wednesday, we had a makeup class today. I was so glad I went! (Not that I would have
ever considered missing, Mom). We saw
three churches and each one was better than the last.
We had to get up at 7:30 to take the bus, to the metro, to
walking, to find this first church. The
morning had a rough start when we got to the bus stop just as the bus was
pulling away. That was OK, because we
were early and another would arrive soon.
The next bus came 10 minutes later and we got up and held out our hand
so he would know to stop. The little bus
driver saw us, looked me in the eye, and kept driving. The nerve.
The next bus was 20 minutes away—but we kept ourselves busy by watching
how many parents had two or more children stuffed on a moped on the way to
school. We were appalled. On another note, I don’t know a lot about car
seats, but I am pretty sure you aren’t supposed to put one in the front seat
facing forward; but they don’t seem to have rules about child car safety
here. Jenny and I are trying not to give
ourselves anxiety by worrying about the children of Rome. At least most of the kids on mopeds wear
helmets…
We decided it had to be pretty great for a trek this
early. We were not disappointed.
The first church was dedicated to the Virgin Mary. I know that everyone is supposed to think
that St. Peter’s is the most beautiful church; but this is my favorite in the
city (that I’ve seen!) Words can’t even
begin to describe the inside, and the photos do not do it justice….at all. It was just spectacular. The ceilings are made of gold, the floors are
patterned intricately, and the art is simply perfect. The story goes that
Christopher Columbus brought the gold back from the New World and Spain then
donated it to this build church. The
mosaics spread all throughout the church were so beautiful. I decided this is the place where I will get
married. And Dad, the church is
decorated so wonderfully inside that we won’t need to decorate, which saves you
money. You’re welcome.
| Piazza outside the Pantheon |
The only downside was that all the nuns kept smiling at
me. This wouldn’t be an issue except
that Jenny told me they probably wanted to take me away to the convent. How rude.
I would be kicked out faster than Maria in the Sound of Music. And if I was a nun, I couldn't get married in the pretty church. That would be a shame!
| front of the church! |
| Jenny and I at the crack of dawn.... |
| gold coffered ceilings! |
The second church was beautiful, but at first glance it
couldn’t compare with St. Maria Maggiore. However, there was entire chapel made of mosaics hidden away in the
corner. You could pay a euro and have
lights illuminate the art. I want to go
back every single day. Everything I see
here is more magnificent than the last.
The whole city is a piece of art, but I love that the most beautiful
things here are hidden in the most unlikely places. Our professor had to practically drag me out
of this church. I was in the gift shop
trying to find a postcard for my little collection…oops. You’ll be happy to know that Jenny and I are
still the caboose of any tour we take.
| Mosaics--the photos don't do it justice! |
| Mosaics! |
The third church was one of the oldest churches in
Rome. It was hidden away (typical Rome)
in a little courtyard down a small street.
There was an Orthodox mass going on, so we weren’t supposed to go in,
but they let us sneak inside the back to peek at the mosaics. The professor let us go early, so we headed
out to grab some lunch before going back to school. We walked until we found somewhere local and
quiet to sit down for awhile.
We ordered pizza as per usual, and took in the view of the
side street.
This weekend I will be around Rome, so expect an update! J
buona notte!
What I originally wrote was how happy I was that, even on your deathbed, you were able to waltz around Rome, sightseeing and eating pizza. So proud of you! And...how excited your father is going to be when he reads how much money he is going to save on decorations for the chuch you plan to be married in in Rome. What a bargain it will be to fly everyone over and pay for their lodging and meals and NOT HAVE TO WORRY about flowers for the altar. You just have no idea how excited he will be to hear this. You are just always thinking of others!?!?!?!?!
ReplyDeleteI must get the Skype to work so you can see me! HA HA. At least I got to see those cute sandals. So excited. Just remember you have to get everything you buy back home.
I do hope you are feeling better by tomorrow. Get lots of rest. You can go to Florence on a day trip. If you are not better, I'll see if Mrs. Hall will make you some chicken noodle soup, and I'll fly right over! Love, mom