Hey y'all!
Today was a day of exploring Rome, partially by myself! I got up super early to go downtown to the Roman Forum and Colosseum to meet my art professor for an on-site lecture. I had my doubts, but it's been a long time since I've taken that many notes in one class lecture! He had so much to say, and he knows SO much about art and architecture. I'm lovin' it. We went around the forum learning about how that was the center of Roman commerce and just the best place to hang out centuries ago. We saw the Senate building (not where Caesar was murdered) but we did see where he was cremated! We learned about the Vestal Virgins, whose job it was to keep the fire burning in the temple. If they strayed away from their duties they were buried alive. I think I would be following all the rules at that point...
Next, we wandered around learning about the triumphal arches, and finally on to the Colosseum. That building, like St. Peter's, never really gets old. It was beautiful this morning. We learned about the different types of columns, arches, and building materials. I mostly love the stories about the gladiator fights. I found a gladiator fight class online. I really want to sign up....there's a Roman Gladiator School. We'll see.
After a charming little lunch, I wanted to do a little museum hopping and Jenny needed to go back to school. She didn't want to take the bus by herself, but I told her she could do it. I waited with her by the bus stop as she held her schoolbooks. I felt like I was sending her to the first day of Kindergarten....but she made it successfully! I found my way to the first museum on my list: La Giocanda. That is the Italian name for the Mona Lisa.
I had another museum on my list for today: Museo Napoleonico. Right on the Tiber River, it is a collection of paintings, clothes and jewelry, furniture, and sculptures from the Napoleonic period in Rome. It has things from all of the Napoleons...and let me tell you, that family was powerful, but not attractive (not in a mean way, of course.) It was beautiful inside! The guards watched me like a hawk. I'd like to think it was because they were bored and I was the only person there, but I think they saw my beady eyes on the jewels....kidding! But really, they would look much better on me than in the glass case! :)


![]() |
| Not a very good photo of some jewels, but you can tell why I liked them! |
On the way home, I had to transfer busses twice. When the bus arrived, it was so overcrowded and I knew there wouldn't be enough room for one more person who had a large backpack. But some guy grabbed my arm and yanked me into the bus. Then he told me in English that I just had to go for it, it's the Italian way. Loved him. Paid it forward today by giving a little old lady my seat on the bus. Grandmas LOVE that. She was the cutest little Italian lady I have ever seen. And she still had on cute little shoes and was toting around her little purse (which looked heavy. probably to hit people with). Our bus got stopped by a truck in the way and our bus driver had a fit and started screaming at him. I am totally unphased at this point. There is a lot of screaming on public transportation...
Speaking of transportation, I am going away for the weekend so I won't post again until Sunday night! I am so glad y'all are reading this, and I hope you are enjoying reading about my adventures as much as I am enjoying living them! Shoutout to Anne & Mike, my generous benefactors who are letting me study abroad--love y'all! I'm behaving!
Sidebar: Anne is the busiest empty nester I have ever heard of. Getting in touch with her is like a full time job...she has so many activities...
Buona Notte!




No comments:
Post a Comment