Whew! It's been a long weekend. This weekend, we headed to Tuscany on our orientation trip, which was pretty fabulous! We started at the crack of dawn on Friday morning, heading to Cortona, a medieval town on a hilltop in Tuscany. It was a couple hours drive, but I slept the whole way! (so much for doing that homework on the busride!) We had a guided tour of Cortona, and then were quickly ushered to a wine tasting at a villa in the hills. Let's be honest, for most people, it was more of a wine guzzling. I was really hoping for a sampling of different wines, and assorted cheeses and a guide telling us which wines go best with which foods....but we are American college students, so I guess no one thought we would appreciate that. So it turned into more of a free for all. Luckily I got a glass and ran away to take pictures so I wouldn't get stampeded for the free wine...
We have been well-fed this weekend. The Italians take three hour lunches and dinners, so we have been doing this. It's so different from our fifteen minute meals at home as we rush from activity to activity. I don't think the Italians have Luna bars to grab "on the go." It is definitely a different way of life over here. It's enjoyable at times, but today at lunch I was so tired I think I could have fallen asleep at the table (but what would Emily Post say? Or Anne? I'm more worried about her!)
That night, we headed to the outskirts of old Arezzo to our hotel. We were staying in a Marriott, so I was doing well. The bathrooms were so intense. Everything was so tall. I felt bad for people who may struggle with these things, like my mother. She's so vertically challenged. Miss her! We went to another hotel for dinner. After this, I headed back to fall asleep. I was so tired!
In Sansepolcro we watched a parade and watched the archers practice for an archery competition between Sansepolcro and another town. They were pretty good. I also did a little shoe shopping...I couldn't help myself. They had a good deal, and I only brought two pairs of flats which I'm already wearing out with all the walking we are doing. Luckily, I found some that I thought were classic and hip and then saw nearly their equivalent in my daily Nordstrom email this morning. Lovin' it. The Italians know what is in.
Last night, we went out to a fun bar in downtown Arezzo. It was so fun to be out with everyone, we all really got to bond on the orientation trip.
This morning we headed to a lake in Tuscany. It was beautiful! We saw private castles, and ate lunch at a restaurant overlooking Tuscany and the lake. Finally, we got on the bus and came back to school. I am so tired! They really packed it in this weekend, but it was so beautiful. And y'all will be happy to know that I got onto the Tuscany trip in November, so I can't wait to go back and stay in one place for longer.
Time for bed! I'll try and post again tomorrow!
xoxo
Yes, I would be mortified if you fell asleep at the table! What if your head had fallen into a plate of pasta and you had died? Don't laugh. I read a story once about a man whose head had fallen into a pile of green jello and he died. Now, honestly, he was probably dead and then his head fell into his plate, but those are just minor details. I just don't think it's possible to smother to death in jello or pasta, but I'll check with Uncle John! But this is beside the point. I just don't remember reading a chapter in Emily Post about what a faux pas falling asleep at the table would be. Apparently, it is in such poor taste that it didn't even rate so much as a paragraph!
ReplyDeleteAnd, yes, I am vertically challenged. It's not nice to make fun of the handicapped. As soon as I can corral your dad for a few minutes, I'm going to get him to help me decorate the mantle for fall since you are not here to do it this year! Being short is no laughing matter. Imagine if my pumpkins are not lined up exactly right, and I have to go through fall with that knowledge!
Beware of foreign men who want to have their pictures taken with young American girls. You have no idea where that photo is going to end up. Did you not think that was a little weird? He might photoshop it and you will end up on the cover of Deli Delights or some other type magazine and not wearing the same thing you started off in. You know what I mean!
But I"m glad you had fun. All we have done is go to the Titans game and come home with a sunburn (that would be dad). Our lives are mundane and boring compared to yours. Oh yeah, we've done some other things, too, but you wouldn't think they were as fun as what you are doing.
Be sure to study...that's the real reason you are there :) I have transferred money into your account. I can see that you are having a very good time. Beware of buying new shoes in every town. They weigh a ton in your ONE suitcase coming home :) Love,love,love you! (Dad, too, but he went back to sleep after you woke us up this morning. HA HA)
Molly...Sienna has great shoe shops!....sorry Anne:). Really enjoying your blog!!!
ReplyDelete